Did you know that Ecuador was awarded the title of ‘South America’s Leading Green Destination’ for the past 3 years?
Although it’s about the size of Colorado, it’s adorned with stunning beaches, untouched Amazonian rain forest, Spanish architecture, rich culture and inexpensive local cuisine with perfect spring-time weather all year-round.
Check out these 15 fun facts about Ecuador to get you excited about your upcoming trip to Ecuador (or entice you to plan one)!
- Ecuador is a popular retirement with a low cost of living and high quality of life.
- It’s more bio-diverse per square kilometer than any other country.
- ‘Cuy’, or whole roasted guinea pigs are a local delicacy.
- The equator runs through Ciudad Mitad del Mundo (which translates to the Middle of the World City), where you can stand with one foot in each hemisphere.
- Modern measurements show that the TRUE equator ACTUALLY lies 240 meters north of the tourist attraction.
- Although Spanish is the official language of Ecuador, there are 13 indigenous languages that are also recognized.
- Ecuador is, by far, the world’s largest exporter of bananas.
- While standing on the summit of Mount Chimborazo, which is an Andean stratovolcano in central Ecuador, (on the equatorial bulge) you’re the closest you can be to space while standing on earth!
- Quito is the highest official capital city in the world at 9,252 feet
- Due to the altitude in Quito, water boils at 190°F
- Ecuador was the first country in the world to recognize that nature has constitutional rights!
- Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is based on discoveries from the Galapagos Islands. More here---> Charles Darwin Biography.
- he Galapagos Islands were the world’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site and the city of Quito was the second because of its excellently preserved heritage.
- The Panama hat was really invented in Ecuador and shipped to the Panama Canal for distribution.
- Ecuador is geothermal active with one of the highest densities of active volcanoes in the world.
Sign-up to get the latest stories on the most amazing destinations and travel experiences from Quasar Expeditions.
For more facts about Ecuador and information on exploring Ecuador’s weird and wonderful attractions, head to our Ecuador Tailor-Made Travel Packages page and build your own adventure!
One of the questions we get asked the most at Quasar is this -
What's the best time of year to travel to Ecuador?