Did you know that Ecuador was awarded the title of ‘South America’s Leading Green Destination’ for the past 3 years?
Although it’s about the size of Colorado, it’s adorned with stunning beaches, untouched Amazonian rain forest, Spanish architecture, rich culture and inexpensive local cuisine with perfect spring-time weather all year-round.
Check out these 15 fun facts about Ecuador to get you excited about your upcoming trip to Ecuador (or entice you to plan one)!
1. Ecuador is a popular retirement with a low cost of living and high quality of life.
2. It’s more bio-diverse per square kilometer than any other country.
3. ‘Cuy’, or whole roasted guinea pigs are a local delicacy.
5. Modern measurements show that the TRUE equator ACTUALLY lies 240 meters north of the tourist attraction.
6. Although Spanish is the official language of Ecuador, there are 13 indigenous languages that are also recognized.
9. Quito is the highest official capital city in the world at 9,252 feet.
10. Due to the altitude in Quito, water boils at 190°F.
11. Ecuador was the first country in the world to recognize that nature has constitutional rights!
12. Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is based on discoveries from the Galapagos Islands.
For more facts about Ecuador and information on exploring Ecuador’s weird and wonderful attractions, head to our Ecuador Tailor-Made Travel Packages page and build your own adventure!