Spanish name: Locro de Papa
Preparation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Servings: 4 to 6
- Oil or butter -- 1/4 cup
- Onion, minced -- 1/2 cup
- Garlic, minced -- 3 to 4 cloves
- Optional: 2 aji amarillo (yellow chili peppers) to give soup more color and make it spicier
- Andean potatoes, peeled and diced -- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Water or stock -- 4 cups
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Queso fresco or mozzarella cheese, shredded -- 1 cup
- 2 fresh avocados
- Toasted small corn kernels
Sign-up to get the latest stories on the most amazing destinations and travel experiences from Quasar Expeditions.
Heat the oil or butter over medium flame in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic and chopped chilis. Simmer until the onion is translucent.
Stir in the potatoes, water or stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are falling apart, 30-45 minutes.
Mash the potatoes up with the back of a spoon to thicken the soup, leaving it a little chunky. Stir.
Remove the soup from heat and stir in the cheese.
Add the avocado slices to the soup.
Serve immediately with toasted kernels on the side.
We hope you enjoy one of our favorite soup dishes served on the famous Grace yacht. Let us know what you think!
For more of our Ecuadorian soup recipes served on Galapagos cruises ----> Soups in Ecuador.